Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Beaches and Baking

I just made some banana bread, and I didn't even have to come up with alternatives for any of the ingredients!  It turned out pretty good.  I made cookies about a week ago, and it was slightly more challenging than the banana bread was.  Mostly because the recipe called for brown sugar.  They don't have that delightful, moist, molasses infused, joyous sugar here in Chile.  I thought it wasn't too big of a deal because I could just get molasses and make my own.  Except they don't have  molasses either.  So I needed to find an alternative to the alternative.  And thanks to the internet, I found one.

Azúcar y Miel = Brown Sugar Alternative

Yes, honey is an alternative for molasses.  So, instead of using brown sugar in my cookies, I used extra white sugar and honey.  They turned out pretty good, but they definitely tasted different.  They seemed sweeter and not quite as moist.  I am not sure if I had the ratio right.  The Chileans loved them though, so that was really all that mattered. 

I went to the beach with my new flatmates last weekend.  It was chilly, but the chill didn't take away from the beauty of the coast.

Chilean Coast
 Despite the fact that it was rather chilly (I had on my hoodie and scarf), I still had to put my feet in the Pacific.  Everybody thought I was crazy for wanting to put my feet in the water, but that didn't stop me from being the crazy gringa that I am.  I didn't do much frolicking though.  I will save that for Beach Time when it is warmer out.

Freezing in the Pacific

We stayed in some cabins just outside of ConCon, and of course, there were some strays.  We fed them,  and then banished them from the porch.  Although, they kept coming back up... I wonder why...

Dog Scratching Himself- How Manly
 Peace and love!

Current Tunes: Camera Obscura (I am still sad I didn't get to see them when they were in Iowa City.  It was hard enough to get people to go to The Envy Corps with me though, and I don't think I could have pulled off getting people to go see music they didn't know two nights in a row.)

No comments:

Post a Comment