Sunday, September 5, 2010

About That Triathlon

Before leaving, I told Cindy I would consider doing a triathlon with her when I got back to Iowa.  She suggested I plant the seed of the genius idea in Stacy's head as well, so I did.  I know; I'm going nuts.  After telling them I would consider it, I started getting up in the mornings and swimming for 45 minutes or an hour, and after that, I would go for a mile or two run.  It got to be pretty easy, and I even enjoyed it.  I felt amazing, and it felt really good that it was that easy for  me to do.  I started to get my hopes up about doing this triathlon bidness Cindy had planted in my mind.

Then I left Iowa, arrived in cold-ass Chile, and kind of laid off the running.  I didn't bring warm running clothes- it was too cold to run in shorts.  I most definitely walk a lot here, although there were a few days where it was so cold, I barely got out of my bed, let alone out walking.  But after those few super cold days, I have been out walking, and walk at least an hour every day.  But no running...

Until today that is.  It is about 73 degrees here, and the sun is out.  It is georgous.  So I put on my new running shirt (I bought a long sleeved one at the market yesterday) and shorts and headed out.

I didn't run that far.  I went over to Parque Bustamante and just ran around it.  (It is a park, but also functions as the median of the road.  It is a big median, but a median nonetheless.  The parks here are strange, and I don't know exactly how to describe them.)  It ends up being about a mile on uneven awkward terrain, and it wasn't too bad except it was really different.

First of all, there was no sweat.  One of my favorite things about running (and working out in general) is the massive amount of sweating that goes on.  I love feeling the sweat rolling down my face and back.  Since there is no humidity in the air here, I don't get to sweat.  It makes me sad.  I guess on some level I should be happy because my clothes aren't going to be soaked and have to dry before I can put them in the dirty clothes.  And they won't smell atrocious after I wear them once.

Another thing that happens with on humidity is you get dry.  My mouth and face felt really dry.  It was like I was spitting dust.  And then someone was sucking all the moisture out of me and replacing it with a bunch of Sham Wows.  My lips were chapped, and I could feel the skin on my face drying up and getting tight.  It was strange.  I decided that I need to drink excessive amounts of water to get hydrated enough to run in this city.

Obviously, the shin splints were killing me, practically before I even started running.  But that will get better soon because if I keep running, they should at least lessen in severity.  

Overall, I am thinking it is going to take some getting used to, but I should manage.  I have made it a personal goal to be able to run up Cerro San Critóbal (and maybe even back down) before I leave this city.  I know many of you don't know what that means.  It is a giant hill.  Check it out on Wikipedia: Cerro San Critóbal.  And here is a picture from Wikipedia en español:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:Cerro_San_Crist%C3%B3bal.jpg


So, what I want Cindy and Stacy to know, is that I am not saying no to the triathlon.  I am just saying it's though going right now.  I also don't have anyplace to go swimming at, and no crazy friends to go running with and motivate me (Stacy).  Despite the lack of sweat, I will keep running and see how things progress.

Peace :)

PS- I have decided to start telling you what I am currently listening to.  I got some new music from a friend from South Africa and a friend from Australia.  I thought I could let you know what I am listening to, and if you are interested, check it out.

Current Tunes: Little Dragon (I like them.  They are from Sweden.  And the Envy Corps was one of their opening acts when they were in Iowa City.  Legit.)

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear what you are up to, Emma. Nana

    ReplyDelete