Thursday, September 9, 2010

Working for the Man

I got my first paycheck the other day.  Since I started at the end of the pay period, my check was for one class.  It was kind of bad ass seeing a comma in the amount the check was for, but then I had to remind myself I see a comma when I buy a bag of peanuts at the grocery store.  My next check should have 6 digits though- three on each side of a comma.  Holla!

I finally have more classes!  They were supposed to start this week, but they got pushed back to next week.  Today we got to go see the office and students.  The office is ballin'.  On one side of the building there is an amazing view of the Andes (or what I would imagine would be an amazing view after the rain/sans smog, although it is pretty nice even with the smog).  The office is really nice too.  The purpose of us going there today was to introduce the students to the company and hand out their books.  We (the teachers) just sat there and looked pretty.  The two directors that took us did all of the talking. 

I really like the teaching experience.  I like watching the students figure things out and help each other when they aren't sure about something.  There are lesson plans outlined in the teacher edition of the book, and we don't need to veer to far off of it.  We aren't expected to either.  It's really cool to see them engaging in dialogue and being able to express and defend their views in English.  It's an awesome feeling when I realize I am helping them be able to do that more and more effectively. 

My Equifax group is fantastic.  I love working with them.  They are really good at using English.  There is one student who tends to use Spanish when he doesn't know the English word for something, but the other students point it out and tell him to use English.  They also do a good job of explaining things in English to each other when someone doesn't understand the vocabulary or grammar point.  My job is pretty easy with them.  They use English and they participate a lot.  So far, this job is a big win.  I hope my new group is as awesome as my Equifax group.

Peace my friends :)

Current Tunes: Emiliana Torrini (I actually discovered this at the library before I left, but I really like her.  I listen to her and St. Vincent almost every morning when I am getting ready.  It's good stuff.)

No comments:

Post a Comment