Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dear Chile

Don't worry.  This isn't going to be like a "Dear John" letter.  I am not trying to break up with you.  I just wanted to let you know a few things.

First of all, you are a strange, strange place.  Some of your words and phrases are baffling to me, and I don't always understand what you are trying to say to me.  I am, however, learning.  So this is progress.  I hope that some day I will be able to understand everything you try to tell  me.  

Your words are not the only thing that is strange.  Your fashion is also rather different, and I don't understand it.  What is with all of the crazy flower prints on leggings?  And why do so many people where parachute pants (and pants inspired by parachute pants)?  This strange fashion is  making me like things I normally would not like, and I am not sure how I feel about that.


Beyond these superficial things, you have provided me with a great personal service.  I have come out of my shell and grown as a person.  Because of you, I have forced myself to meet people and be outgoing.  I came here not knowing anybody, and I made friends.  From all over the world.  (Except Asia...)  This is a miracle for me.  Thank you for showing me I can do it.

Chile, when I do have to leave you, I will miss you and everything you hold.  I will miss the friends I have made.  I will miss having to remember to get my bread weighed at the grocery store.  I will miss having to light the stove to make my french fries.  And I will deeeeeply miss the pebre, sopapillas, and empanadas.

Thank you for being everything you are Chile, you strange, silly place, you. 

Peace
Allison

Currently Listening to: Hilltop Hoods (Again.  I can't help it.  I like them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment