Sunday, November 7, 2010

Familiarty is Funny

The other day I was Skyping with my friend (who was in Iowa) when he went through a drive though.  When he drove up to order, the person on the other end of the speaker spoke English!  I was taken off guard and found it really weird, and that is when I realized: Santiago is now familiar to me.

I no longer look at street signs when I am going to class.  I don't have to figure out which direction I have to take the metro to get where I want to go.   Buying leche descremada in a box and leaving it sit in the cupboard until I am ready to use it is completely natural.  Going back to the States is going to be weird, and that is kind of weird.  It will be weird going to Target and being able to buy new socks, a box of granola bars, and new pencils all in the same place.  I won't have to find three different places to make my purchases. 

Ultimately, I have a love/hate relationship with this familiarity.  I love that it is so easy.  I don't have to look at map to get around, and I don't have to try to adjust to new things.  I hate it because it isn't as exciting.  It has become routine.  And that is boring. 

Current Tunes: Speakerboxxx (I really like this album, and I get excited when I rediscover it.  And then part of me gets sad because I remember I have the clean version for some reason.   I am also excited to actually get to listen to Big Boi's most recent album.  I have only heard a little bit off it, but from what I hear, it's pretty legit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment