Monday, November 15, 2010

Extranjeria or Cattle Auction?

I would like to start by saying, this story of the experience at the Extranjeria is not just mine, but it is also my friend, Jemma's.  I will start at the beginning.

Early last week I got an email saying the letter came saying I could go get my visa stamp!  I was so excited!  I had Spanish classes last week though, so I didn't really have time to go.  So, I planned on going on Monday morning and getting in line at 7:30AM.  Gross, I know.  But it became less gross when I found out that Jemma also had to go!  I would have a friend to wait in the god-awful line with!

Jemma has had quite the difficulties in obtaining her visa.  Since she didn't make it to Mendoza a couple of weeks ago, she found out (on Friday) that she would get kicked out of the country on Monday if she did not get her visa renewed/upgraded/whatever.  (It is all a bit confusing to me.)  This is only to keep living in Chile.  She can keep working here until the end of December.  Please, don't ask me about this.  Nobody understands why.  It's because it is Chile.

So we decided to meet and wait in line at 7:30.  We got in line, and it finally moved at about 8.  We were herded, literally, like cattle, into the building.  Then we were herded, like cattle, into the waiting room where we were instructed to sit in order in the chairs provided.  It is important to note that you may not sit in any empty seat you find because the man in a suit will yell at you for budging.  You must sit in the same order that you were in in the line.

After sitting for a bit, we got herded again.  This time we had to file back to the entrance, in order, to pick up a number.  Why not just make us wait at the door and then take a number as we come in?  I have no clue.  It's Chile.  Now that we had our numbers, we had to wait.  And wait.  And wait.

Then, while we were waiting some more, we smelled the stench of urine.  I am guessing someone peed their pants because they thought they couldn't leave their seats.

So at about 10:15, Jemma was finally next in line!  w00t!  I watched her go up there and sit down at the desk, and it was kind of like watching my first empanada get fried.  Then the lady got up from the desk and left the office.  That is when Jemma turned around shook her head, and gave me thumbs down.  There was another visa situation. 

When the lady came back, Jemma motioned for  me to come into the office.  Carlos, the wonderful boss at work, had forgotten to change Jemma's contract so it had the correct minimum salary in it.  The lady said that she might be able to use my contract since we work for the same institute.  No such luck because I signed my contract after Jemma.  Jemma now had to wait until Carlos could get a new contract drawn up for her, sign and finger print it, have it notarized, and bring it back to the extranjeria before she could get her visa.

While Jemma was on the phone with Carlos figuring out what was going on (the lady was soooo nice and called Carlos to figure out why it was the wrong salary), the lady hooked me up with a visa stamp.  I feel kind of bad because this process has been relatively beyond easy for me compared to what Jemma has been through.  Hopefully she will have her stamp by the end of the week though.

After getting my stamp I registered with the international police, which was mostly like a faster version of renewing your license at the DMV.  It was oddly efficient.  And next I get to go apply for my carnet!  I gots to get up early and get my hair did so I don't look like a beaver in my carnet picture.  'Cause I looked like a totally doofus in my picture at the international police.  The lady even laughed at it.

So that is my story of the extranjeria and how it is like a cattle auction.  And how someone (probably) peed their pants.  Everybody, please send good vibes to Jemma this week so all goes well and she doesn't get deported.  I can't handle another one leaving this soon.

Peace and Love

1 comment:

  1. bah hahaha i just laughed my patootie off reading this. you rock allison :)

    ReplyDelete