Saturday, October 16, 2010

Obligitory "The Minors Are Free" Entry

So, the whole world was excited when they started bringing up the minors.  But nothing compares to the sense of patriotism and solidarity here in Chile.  It is amazing how emotional everybody gets about wins and losses in this country.  One person's loss is the country's loss, and one person's win is the country's win. 

The night they started bringing up the first miners, the statue of the Virgin Mary on top of Cerro San Cristóbal was lit up like a disco ball.  The light was flashing all crazy like.  Then, when they brought the last miner up, things went nuts.  I was watching coverage on the news with friends, and we could hear Plaza Italia explode with excitement.  There was honking and cheering.  People were circling Plaza Italia with flags (and people) hanging out of their windows.  Everybody had a flag in their hand and there was plenty of clapping. 

Chileans Celebrating
There were people of all ages there (although most of them seemed to be high school aged).  There were even small children playing in the confetti flying around the plaza.



Children Playing with Confetti

Of course, like good Chilean visa holding temporary citizens, we had to get in on the action.  We got in there to chant and clap and throw confetti for the celebration.   

Action Shot of Confetti Fight




 It was kind of  amazing seeing the celebration and how excited people were about the miners being free.  In my classes the next day, my students talked about how great it was that they had finally be rescued.  I don't think we have that in the States.  Of course we hear about news, and we talk about it, but we don't celebrate and mourn together the way they do.  The only time I think anything like that has happened is 9/11. 



Peace

Current Tunes: Iron and Wine (Sometimes, I forget about how much I like them until I start listen to them.  And then I can't stop listening.)

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to give thanks to Yesh for letting me use her pictures!

    ReplyDelete