Sunday, August 22, 2010

Double D's: Dry and Dirty

I have decided that I am going to nickname Santiago "Double D's" because it is so dry and dirty.  I have used well over half of a (small) bottle of lotion since I got here!  I wake up and put lotion on before I get dressed and every night when I get out of the shower.  And my skin is still dry sometimes!  It is insane! 

The second D is for dirty.  Yes, there is silty dust and trash in the streets, but the big thing that is crazy to me is the smog.   I don't think I have had a clear view of the Andes since I have been here.  I don't think I have even had a clear view of Cerro San Cristóbal from any distance away.  I also almost always wipe my nose at the end of the day, and there is black gunk.  Gross.  This can't be good for my lungs.  There isn't really that much traffic.  Streets are less congested than the metro is during rush hour, but the city is like a bowl, so the smog can't get out.  The Andes helps keep it all in.

Speaking of the Andes, I went for a huge walk all over the place yesterday, and I have decided that the Andes are like I-80 back home.  Travis tells me that many people in Iowa figure out their directions based on where they are in relation to I-80: If I-80 is to your south and you are facing that direction, you know you are facing south and so on.  Well, I use the Andes in much the same fashion.  When I see the Andes in front of me, I know I am facing east, if they are beside me I am north or south, and if they are behind me I am facing west.  I wonder if this is a trick Santinguinos (and Chileans in general) use. 

I also can't get over seeing the Andes.  Every now and then they pick out from between buildings and I am struck by how awesome they look.  And seeing them between buildings is also pretty neat.  Seeing the Andes also reminds me of where I am and how awesome this is.

There is so much other stuff I want to write about! There is finally internet at the apartment, but I have to plug into an ethernet and have a user name and password so it is still a pain to use.  I am hoping that I can get caught up with the blogging soon though!  I have a whole list of things I want to write about!  And even some pictures to share!

Peace from Santiago.

No comments:

Post a Comment