Saturday, August 14, 2010

¿Bienvenido a Miami?

So, it is apparently one of the coldest winters they have ever had here.  It is still not too bad; I would be fine in a long sleeve shirt and being in the sun.  However, the apartment I am in is FREEZING!  It is colder in the apartment than it is outside.  And there is no central heating.  I have to buy a propane tank for a little space heater that goes in my room.  That seems kind of unsafe, but maybe it is just me and my silly American ways.  But the cold temperatures and lack of heat instantly reminded me of Miami during the Orange Bowl.  There are two differences: Laura is not there for me to beg to be my big spoon and keep me warm, and I have leggings, pants, beater, and sweatshirt to sleep in (so I am actually warm at night). 

There is a situation with the lock on the apartment door, so I have not had much of a chance to get out and explore :(  This should be changing today though.  And she is sick, so she will be home all day, and I can go out and explore!  Hopefully.  I think her hippy ways prevent her from getting to worked up about things, so it might take a while.

Her hippy ways also prevent her from getting worked up about the fact that the wireless doesn't work.  This isn't a huge deal except that it is the only way I have to communicate with my family right now.  And I would like to finish figuring out the online situation with DMACC.  And I can't do that without wirless.  Well, I could, but I don't want to spend all of my money on internet access.  Thanks though.

I went to a market yesterday to get some fruits and veggies.  It was kind of overwhelming at first because I didn't know how some of the things were sold (per kilo, per item, per bunch...).  I got it figured out, and I am excited to try some of the different fruits and veggies they have here.  

Ok, time for exploring Santiago.  Chao for now!

1 comment:

  1. I got Skype so you best be gettin' a working internet connection. My screenname is magnificentmegan1986. :)

    ReplyDelete